[plt-scheme] feature request for PLaneT

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema (hdnews at gawab.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 14:31:11 EDT 2006

I think one should be able to choose. Currently, afaik, requiring a module
is not bound to a specific program. I personally generally want the latest
PLaneT package that is guaranteed to be downwards compatible, unless I
really want to freeze my program (i.e. I'm distributing it to customers?).

--Hans

Jacob Matthews schreef:
> Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:
>
>> If I release major=1 and minor=5, I would be very glad, if
>> dependent modules would download the newer 1 5 version
>> automatically.
>
> Currently PLaneT distinguishes between three cases:
>
> 1. The program doing the requiring has been around and is already
> linked to version 1.4. In this case PLaneT does not (and I think
> should not) try to get a new version automatically ---- you have to ask.
>
> 2. The program doing the requiring is not already linked to a
> particular version, and there's no package already on the user's
> system that would satisfy the request. In this case PLaneT goes to the
> network.
>
> 3. The program doing the requiring is not already linked to a
> particular version, but there is a package installed on the user's
> system that would satisfy the request. In this case, PLaneT currently
> uses the installed package --- I think you're suggesting that it
> shouldn't do that, preferring instead to check the network. I've
> thought about changing this behavior too, and I might do it. But there
> are two things to consider:
>
>   * It increases the chance that the same package will get loaded
> twice with two different versions. This is a dangerous situation to be
> in, and currently PLaneT automatically prevents packages from being
> loaded twice with two separate versions unless the packages
> specifically announce that this is okay.
>
>   * It makes PLaneT connect to the network more often and download
> more packages. (The design tries to minimize this, though experience
> suggests that maybe nobody really cares.)
>
> -jacob

Posted on the users mailing list.