[plt-scheme] htdp section 17.7

From: wooks . (wookiz at hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 7 20:10:02 EDT 2006

Apologies if this is sent twice ...... can't remember whether I pressed send
the first time.

Please check my data analysis and examples.

(define-struct add (left right))
(define-struct mul (left right))
(define-struct div (left right))
(define-struct sub (left right))
(define-struct funcDef (name parm expr))
(define-struct funcInv (name expr))

An expression is either

     a variable
     a number or
     a multiplication or
     an addition  or
     a function invocation

where

A multiplication is a list (* left right)
where
    left is an expression
    right is an expression

An addition is a list (+ left right)
where
    left is an expression
    right is an expression

A subtraction is a list (- left right)
where
    left is an expression
    right is an expression

A division is a list (/ left right)
where
    left is an expression
    right is an expression

A variable is a symbol

A funcInv (function invocation) is a structure (name expr) where
      name is a symbol
      expr is an expression

A funcDef (function defiinition) is a structure (name parm expr)
where

name is a symbol
parm is a symbol
expr is an expression

CONTRACT
evaluate-with-one-def : expression funcDef -> number or error
Calculates and returns the value of the expression if it is a numeric
expression that does not contain a function invocation.

If the expression contains a function invocation and the invoked function
matches funcDef substitute the functions body in the expression and
calculate and return its value.

If the expression invokes a function other than that specified in funcDef
return error.

EXAMPLES
(evaluate-with-one-def (make-funcInv 'square 8) (make-funcDef 'square
                                                              'num
                                                              (make-mul 'num
'num))) = 64
(evaluate-with-one-def (make-funcInv 'square (make-add 3 4)) (make-funcDef
'square

'num

(make-mul 'num 'num))) = 49

(evaluate-with-one-def 8   (make-funcDef 'square
                                          'num
                                          (make-mul 'num 'num))) = 8

(evaluate-with-one-def (make-mul 7 11)  (make-funcDef 'square
                                          'num
                                          (make-mul 'num 'num))) = 77

(evaluate-with-one-def (make-funcInv 'circle (make-add 3 4)) (make-funcDef
'square

'num

(make-mul 'num 'num))) = ERROR

(evaluate-with-one-def (make-funcInv 'square (make-funcInv 'square 3))
                       (make-funcDef 'square 'num (make-mul 'num 'num))) =
81

(evaluate-with-one-def (make-add 7 (make-funcInv 'square (make-funcInv
'square 3)))
                       (make-funcDef 'square 'num (make-mul 'num 'num))) =
88

(evaluate-with-one-def (make-funcInv 'circle (make-funcInv 'square 7))
                       (make-funcDef 'square 'num (make-mul 'num 'num))) =
ERROR

(evaluate-with-one-def (make-funcInv 'square (make-funcInv 'circle 7))