[plt-scheme] Ideas for PLaneT

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Wed Jan 18 11:54:03 EST 2006

Noel Welsh wrote:
> --- Jens Axel Søgaard <jensaxel at soegaard.net> wrote:
>
>>iii) Add the source of the packages to the svn repository
>
> Several other PL communities have a system similar to
> Sourceforge.  IIRC getting an account on CPAN gives you a
> development area.  There is RubyForge, and I think
> something similar for Python.
>
> Do you have something similar in mind?  Schematics is
> somewhat similar, though I'm a bit lazy about updating the
> web pages.

My wish is much humbler. I simply want the individual to
be browsable. There are several benefits:

   - The source files will be indexed by Google,
     thus improving the chance that people find
     out about the great packages in PLaneT

   - I can give links to source files in discussions
     in, say, comp.lang.scheme without demanding
     people to install plt-scheme first

   - I easily can give links to examples and
     documentation inside plt-packages on this list
     (I have a feeling that almost none look at the
     test and example directories, because they
     are hard to find)

The mentioning of svn was just a suggestion on how
to make the source files easily available. Since
one can browse source at

     <http://svn.plt-scheme.org/plt/trunk/> ,

the only thing needed is to unzip the plt-files
to a directory (at least I think nothing more
is needed).

--
Jens Axel Søgaard

Posted on the users mailing list.