[plt-scheme] Can't install manual - permission denied

From: Iain Gray (iaingray at ednet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 1 06:02:45 EST 2006

Hi Gregory,

I am using OS X (10.4.3) and experienced the same problem when trying
to install the uninstalled manuals in PLT Scheme v300. The problem is
that the original installer appears as "system" then you are doing
additional installations as "<username>". My solution is to open the
folder "collects" in the "PLT Scheme v300" folder and select the
"doc" folder. Do a "file get info" (command i) on this and open
"details" in the panel that opens by clicking on the arrow at the
bottom. This will show "system" as the owner, note the other settings
for restoring afterwards, then click on the padlock and change the
owner to  "<username>" and all access privileges to "read & write",
you'll need your password, finally click on the button "apply to
enclosed items" at the bottom. ow install the manuals you want.
Finally restore the settings of the "doc" folder and its enclosed
files by using command i etc. again.

hth

Iain

p.s. the same effect can also be done with sudo chown/chmod from a
Unix Terminal window.