[plt-scheme] Using mzCOM in VB

From: ndpmcintosh at mac.com (ndpmcintosh at mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 21 15:36:57 EST 2006

<Attn Moderator: For some reason my return address did not take the settings
I applied the first time: I am ndpmcintosh at mac.com>

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to use scheme code in a visual basic project,
and I must say I do not find the scheme documentation very illuminating
(which is a way of saying I really do not understand it). I am new to both
scheme and VB so it is especially frustrating. Can someone point me to a
good explanation (preferable step-by-step) of how to call a Scheme file and
pass it a variable all from within a VB program and have the output of the
Scheme program display in a text box in VB? The few things along these lines
I have found assume way to much knowledge for me.

I have made a lot of preliminary progress on my own. I can write a variable
from VB to file and Scheme can read this file (using Dr. Scheme)and use the
variable to run the Scheme program, and I can output the result of the
Scheme program to a file which in turn I can read in VB into a text box.
However, this is not really the way I undertand it is supposed to work if
you are using mzCOM.

I have tried a test program made in VB 6 that I found on the web and
converted into a VB.net 2005 project, but there is something wrong with it
and it does not work quite right. I can kind of get the idea from inspecting
the code, but not enough to understand how to fix it or make my project
work. Help!?

Phil McIntosh

Posted on the users mailing list.