[plt-scheme] Multiple values

From: Lauri Alanko (la at iki.fi)
Date: Tue Feb 21 04:22:34 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:07:53AM -0800, Jim Blandy wrote:
> The rationale I have heard is that multiple value returns restore the
> symmetry between calling functions (where you can pass multiple
> values) and returning from functions (where you normally pass only
> one).

Yes, once you allow multiple arities for functions, multiple return
values are a logical extension, since it just means calling a
continuation with multiple arguments.

The "performance hack" is the entire idea that there is a notion of
applying a function (or continuation) to multiple arguments that is
different from simply applying the function/continuation to a single
compound argument.

Lauri

Posted on the users mailing list.