[plt-scheme] Multiple values

From: Lauri Alanko (la at iki.fi)
Date: Tue Feb 21 02:12:12 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 10:54:00PM -0600, Bill Wood wrote:
> As yet no-one has commented on my original question, which is how
> compelling is the argument for a multiple-values facility in Scheme?

It's just a performance hack that's easier to implement efficiently than
fully general first-class tuples and pattern matching.

Opinions vary on this, of course. For further discussion, see e.g.

Here, for instance, is a nearly-but-not-quite-backwards-compatible
proposal for an alternate semantics where multiple-value tuples are
first-class objects.

But as you can see from the length of the abovementioned thread, this is
a heated topic that belongs more to c.l.s than to this list.

Posted on the users mailing list.