[plt-scheme] Native code generation and immutable pairs

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Feb 12 11:11:33 EST 2006

On Feb 12, 2006, at 5:28 AM, Noel Welsh wrote:

> The primary use in my experience is to simulate a mutable
> binding.  Module bindings can only be mutated by the
> defining module.  Sometimes it is useful to allow others to
> mutate a binding, in which case storing the value in a box
> is a solution.  However, it is almost always the wrong
> solution -- parameters are better for most use cases, and
> monads for pretty much all other cases I can think of,
> leaving boxes for the cases where you want inexplicable
> behaviour in the presence of concurrency and continuations.
>
> N.

Thanks. As I explained in my other response, I was rather surprised
upon reading chapter 3 of SICP and seeing what could be done with
pairs. I guess I had just tacitly assumed they were immutable (and
didn't know about set-car! and set-cdr!) In practice, I've never used
them, but have used define-struct, so I guess the real question is
what I would do if I had to make do without define-struct. Off-hand,
if I had neither mutable pairs nor the ability to create structures,
it seems that I'd have to resort to building structures out of
functions using message passing or some such.

I know it's audacious of me, but perhaps inspired by SICP, I've been
hoping to implement an interpreter or compiler for at least an
interesting subset of Scheme or another functional language, so I've
been thinking about how all of this might go. The case of concurrency
is of particular interest to me because I've been developing
messaging applications (in MUMPS, not Scheme) for years, and have
been intrigued by concurrency for years. I'm convinced that I don't
understand continuations at all, but am reading PLAI and find it a
very helpful (and interesting) text. The explanations in "Teach
Yourself Scheme in Fixnum Days" and "The Seasoned Schemer" seem clear
enough, but I just have this uneasy feeling that I don't understand
what's going on.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net