[plt-scheme] Native code generation and immutable pairs

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Feb 12 00:38:29 EST 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Robby Findler wrote:

> My sense is that we occasionally need mutation, but we get a lot by
> giving it up (and there's always mutable pairs and mutable records via
> define-struct in some variation that's not going away). But, I'm just
> speaking for myself.
> Robby

Would it be possible to make the car of an immutable pair a box, and
do something like

(set-box! (car p) v)

(To tell you the truth, I've really been puzzling over how an
application programmer might use boxes, but I've implicitly assumed
that pairs are mutable.)

Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but
when there is nothing left to take away."
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posted on the users mailing list.