[plt-scheme] Slackware package

From: Lieven De Keyzer (lieven_dekeyzer at hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 10 11:53:06 EST 2006

>From: Kim Gybels <kgybels at infogroep.be>
>To: Lieven De Keyzer <lieven_dekeyzer at hotmail.com>
>CC: plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu
>Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] Slackware package
>Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:20:24 +0100
>

> > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mcpu=i686" \
> > ./configure \
> >  --build=i486-slackware-linux \
> >  --prefix=/usr/local \
> >  --enable-shared \
> >  --enable-phtread
>When you are going to make a slackware package out of it.
>The prefix should be /usr instead.
>Stuff installed from packages generally go under /usr,
>stuff you install some other way go under /usr/local.

Indeed, you're right. I'll build my packages with /usr from now on. :)
Thanks for pointing that out.

> > make
> > make install DESTDIR=/tmp/package-plt-scheme
>I never saw the use of DESTDIR before.

That's what Pat uses in his buildscripts, provided it works.

>I would just set the prefix to /tmp/package-plt-scheme/usr.

That's indeed what I normally do if DESTDIR fails to work, but then mzscheme
won't run if the package is installed, because it searches for the libraries
in /tmp/package-plt/usr.

What I've done now:
- Installed with "make prefix=/usr/lib/plt-scheme-301 install"
- Moved the plt-scheme-301 directory to /tmp/package-plt-scheme/usr/lib
- Make the package

Does that seem a reasonable workaround?

Posted on the users mailing list.