[plt-scheme] Native code generation and immutable pairs

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 10 11:47:06 EST 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Will M. Farr wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2006, at 10:39 AM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>
>> Please take a very close look at the constraints that
>> bigloo modules impose on Scheme code. I am almost certain
>> that these results do not carry over to other Scheme
>> implementations.
>
> As someone who is reasonably familiar with Bigloo, I think the only
> extra constraint that Bigloo modules place on the code (aside from
> handling syntax expansions very poorly compared to PLT-style modules)
> is that the module declaration allows for optional type declarations.
> Other than that, the "closed-world" assumptions required for type
> analysis are equivalent between the module systems.

It is the closed world assumption that I meant. It is for that reason
that most other Scheme compiler papers report much less of a speed-up
than Manuel. The person who posted appeared to be unaware of these
essential differences. (BTW, my claims for Soft Scheme were for a
closed world, too.)

To this day, few Scheme systems support modules and compilers in this
way. For a large part of the past 20 years, people were proud to
support Scheme as an interactive open system and therefore
underreported compilation results in some sense.

-- Matthias