[plt-scheme] call/cc and space

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Feb 7 17:08:59 EST 2006

On Feb 7, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Greg Woodhouse wrote:

> --- Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
>> At Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:18:56 -0800, John Clements wrote:
>>> So MzScheme is now safe-for-space?
>>
>> No, not in general.
>>
>> Matthew
>>

> Okay, I'm confused. Is this the sort of code that would be unsafe (I
> know it's contrived)?

The term safe-for-space is (in my opinion) a poorly chosen term; it
has nothing to do with most definitions of 'safety.'  That is, a
language that is not "safe-for-space" is not necessarily "unsafe."

Instead, it describes a particular proof technique used by some
garbage collectors to more aggressively reclaim heap storage.  For
instance, an evaluator that is safe-for-space may collect memory
associated with a variable binding that has no references.  For a
more accurate & precise definition, I would refer interested readers
to Will Clinger's paper, "Proper tail recursion and space efficiency".

ftp://ftp.ccs.neu.edu/pub/people/will/tail.ps.gz

Sorry for the confusion,

John Clements