[plt-scheme] new version of prog langs text (also making the collection work on r301.5 from svn)

From: Richard Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 7 07:14:24 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:32:31PM -0800, Danny Yoo wrote:
> > I was able to install the *.plt file under Windows with no problems.
> > However, when I attempted to install under OS X (using Safari), I ended
> > up seeing a text file displayed in the browser. I tried right clicking
> > (well, control clicking) and saving it to the desktop, but I got a file
> > named plai-300.plt.txt.
>
> Hi Gregory,
>
> It might be less problematic to input the url of that PLT file directly
> from DrScheme's 'File/Install PLT File...' menu.
>

> > My guess is that the web server is sending a media type of text/ plain.
> > The media type probably ought to be application/something, maybe
> > application/octet-stream.
>
> One issue here is that the .plt file _is_ textual; it's packed in a
> particular way that's ASCII-frendly.  Safari's trying to be too nice here
> by adding the .txt suffix.  If we use Firefox, there's no implicit
> renaming going behind our back.  So this is really a Safari problem more
> than anything else.

This is perhaps true, but Gregory is right: the web server is sending
the file with a MIME type of text/plain (as wget clearly shows).  We
have a better chance, I figure, of adjusting the server's configuration
than we do of fixing Safari.

Or, for that matter, of fixing IE.  Recent experience downloading
another .plt file suggests that IE will have a similar problem.

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.