[plt-scheme] new version of prog langs text

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Feb 7 01:10:14 EST 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:

> I recently released a new version of my programming languages text,
> Programming Languages: Application and Interpretation (PLAI).  You can
> get the book in its entirety here:
>
>   http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/
>
> That page also lists some of the prominent changes from the previous
> version a year ago.
>
> Comments welcome!
>
> Shriram

I was able to install the *.plt file under Windows with no problems.
However, when I attempted to install under OS X (using Safari), I
ended up seeing a text file displayed in the browser. I tried right
clicking (well, control clicking) and saving it to the desktop, but I
got a file named plai-300.plt.txt. Maybe there's an easier way to do
it, but the only way I could find to rename it was to change
directories to ~/Desktop and rename it there. Then, when I double
clicked on the file, I saw a dialog asking whether I wanted to open
the file for editing or install it. I chose install, and then
everything worked fine.

My guess is that the web server is sending a media type of text/
plain. The media type probably ought to be application/something,
maybe application/octet-stream.

BTW, the text looks great!

===
Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary
man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted on the users mailing list.