[plt-scheme] running web-server on port 80 as non-root?

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Feb 5 00:16:43 EST 2006

On Feb 4, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Doug Orleans wrote:

> I've been running my PLT web server as root, in order to use port 80,
> on Debian Linux.  It occurs to me that maybe I don't want to be doing
> this...  Apache has the "User" directive that does a setuid after
> binding the listener port.  Can MzScheme do setuid?  Or should I just
> write a simple port-forwarder?  Or, is there a way to tell Debian to
> allow a non-root user to use port 80?

Normally, only root is allowed to use ports 1 through 1024. Never
having tried to do this, I wonder if the web server couldn't be
compiled as a standalone executable, or is that what you mean?

===
Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net

"Before one gets the right answer, one must ask the right question."
-- S. Barry Cooper

Posted on the users mailing list.