[plt-scheme] {offshoot of} Request for Info

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 18 13:48:07 EST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Corey Sweeney wrote:

> This is a question that I'm asking for myself, so I changed the
> subject to show that this responce is not intended for the 8/9th
> graders.
>
> On 12/17/06, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>
> > If we have to make our programs useful for others so that they can
> > run in their browser then do we have to convert them into Java
> > (Java servelets and applets)?
>

> You can make your programs useful to others in many different ways.
> You can just give them a copy of your program. If you insist on
> distributing the result of your work via a browser, you can do it in
> two ways:
>
>   1. as a recording of your work: see http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/
> matthias/211-f06/Assignments/13.html for a simulated fireworks. This
> is an animated gif, that records the output of a DrScheme program.
>
>   2. as a program that runs on demand with inputs from other people.
>

> Can you elaborate on #2?  I'm gussing your saying to write
> something that spits out forms in html,  but if your saying
> something else, I'd be highly interested!

This doesn't have to be HTML. I had in mind:

-- a Java applet that interacts with a consumer via a GUI
-- a JavaScript program that interacts via a Web forms
-- a Scheme servlet that interacts via HTML server interactions

In addition, you may wish to distinguish between launching programs
with inputs and running them in batch mode versus launching programs
and interacting with them (text, events) to supply inputs.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.