[plt-scheme] alternative web server?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 23 08:55:33 EDT 2006

Andreas, let me reformulate Jay and Shriram's answer.

PLT is a research group. PLT Scheme is research software. The PLT
Server is an exploratory framework; our goal is to find new
mechanisms  that fit somewhere in the chain of Web applications. For
this reason, our software is solid, much like an ordinary, run-of-the-
mill development project such as Python, and at the same time
impoverished in those places that we haven't found worthy of research
investment time.

Having said that, we are an unusual research group in that we push
our software far enough to serve in commercial, near-commercial,
government and freeware projects extremely well. If someone serious
asks for extensions, we will see what we can do. We don't promise too
much but when we deliver it's as solid as python or something like it.

As for the web server: the purpose of the server was to explore the
use of continuations for transitions between/among web pages. Over
six or seven years of this research, we have come to the conclusion
that it is imperative to support this mechanism in web services
frameworks; a server that doesn't just poses too many obstacles and
creates too many opportunities for _systematic_ failures -- something
that researchers wish to eliminate. Of course, like everyone else, we
also realize that currently web services require far too many page
switches, and that if you don't switch pages, you don't want
continuations. So now is the time to explore this idea. Stay tuned
for further pronouncements from Shriram in this arena.

I realize that this is a high level and principled answer, not at all
addressing the pressing needs of a web hacker. But I thought I should
clarify what you're looking at before you commit. If you do commit, I
promise fun.

-- Matthias, researching for fun, also paid for it.