[plt-scheme] Reexpansion of modules

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 20 20:21:45 EDT 2006

At Sat, 19 Aug 2006 19:29:01 +0200, Jens Axel Søgaard wrote:
> The recent thread on MzScheme and Larceny were thought provoking.
> Even though Matthias has lost hope to see a bridge between MzScheme
> and Larceny, maybe it is possible cross the gap using a tightrope?
> Intended not for the masses, but for the adventurous.

How much speed improvement would you expect to get that way?

MzScheme isn't slow:

  http://tmp.barzilay.org/mzbench.html

Well, it's still slow on programs that use continuations at a very fine
granularity. Otherwise, the gap between MzScheme and
performance-oriented implementation has closed considerably, especially
for the benchmarks that are supposed to represent real programs (e.g.,
"dynamic"). I see no particular obstacle to closing the gap further.

It's difficult to know whether these benchmarks measure anything that
you care about, though. Maybe you have some code that runs much faster
in Larceny than MzScheme? If so, I'm interested to take a look.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.