[plt-scheme] convert-bytes bugfix (was Changing current locale's encoding)

From: Jefferson Heard (heard at duvel.ir.iit.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 9 23:23:12 EDT 2006

Matthew Flatt wrote:

>>> I'm interested to hear how widespread the problem is. It works for me
>>> on most of my Windows machines, but it fails on one virtual-machine
>>> installation so far.
>>>

> I was mis-reading the debugger output and misunderstanding my tests;
> the bug is obvious. I believe it's fixed for the next build.
>
> At Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:59:11 -0400, Jefferson Heard wrote:
>
>> Well, it works fine on my lab's win2k box, but not the XP one and not my
>> XP laptop nor my girlfriend's XP laptop.  Could be an XP thing?  Could
>> also be an "I haven't re-installed windows in too long" thing...
>>

> I think you must have "iconv.dll" in your path on machines where it
> works. MzScheme wasn't finding the "iconv.dll" that it was supposed to
> find in "plt/lib".
>
> Matthew

Excellent news!  Good to know I was able to help out somewhat.  I tried
using MzScheme in my workplace some years ago and was foiled by
management despite a working prototype (the manager was a "why isn't it
in C++?" kind of guy to the point that he hated even to allow Java into
his group), but I learned a fair amount of the C based internals and the
structure of the MzScheme source code. I don't have a lot of time, but
I'd love to work on it again.

Posted on the users mailing list.