[plt-scheme] Clean design of editor's Scheme parser, program nav. commands?

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 6 11:24:58 EDT 2006

There are probably two pieces you want to look at: text% the editor
(it organizes snip% objects by lines, and snip% objects can be text,
or images or other things you define), and Scott Owens' parser
generator as connected to the editor in color:text<%>. The editor
provides editing functionality (mapping graphical locations and line
numbers to positions (offsets from the beginning of the editor) and
lots of hooks for observing actions like insertions, deletions, etc
etc, and other fancier stuff). Scott's parser generator provides a
spec for a programming language that can be used to generate an
online colorer (and other tool that process parsing-level information
about a program). Roughly, you give a yacc-like spec, and you get out
a mapping from positions to tokens (ie, given a position, it will
tell you what token you're inside, including comments).

None of this comes from Emacs and, unlike (last i checked) Emacs, the
coloring/paren matching cannot get confused.

If you have more specific questions as you try to build something,
let us know. Hopefully the above is enough to get you started reading
the manuals.

hth,
Robby