[plt-scheme] Version Check

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 16:53:48 EDT 2006

Eli Barzilay wrote:
> This is a standard catch 22 thing -- the people that need to check for
> updates are exactly the people who will never check for it themselves.
>
> [BTW, for a long time I didn't appreciate the need for this

Part of the point I'm making is when you use the term "need", as in
"need to check" and "the need for this", you are actually referring to
PLT's "need", not to the user's need.  At best, you can speculate about
what *you* think is in a user's best interests, but ultimately, what the
user thinks is what should count.  If you're taking the position that
no, it's your opinion about what the user should want that counts, don't
be surprised when your users don't agree with you.

> A dialog has the problems I mentioned earlier.

Any solution that does not involve explicit permission from the user
prior to making a connection is unacceptable.  If you don't understand
that, you're not listening to the objections that are being made.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.