[plt-scheme] Version Check

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Apr 27 11:39:47 EDT 2006

On Apr 27, Anton van Straaten wrote:

> Eli Barzilay wrote:
>  > User-triggered checks were a failure.  During the 209->299->300
>  > transition, the version check thing got broken, and for months nobody
>  > noticed.
>
> And what was the problem with that situation?

It showed that it was hardly used, which means more outdated
installations.

> Note that I'm not arguing that PLT shouldn't do this.  I've already
> said what I think would be acceptable, which boils down to informed
> consent at install time.

The thing is that "install time" goes away -- the installers are all
simple unpack-a-directory things now (except for the extra windows
things like the start menu entries).  But install time is a vague
concept anyway: consider lab installations (which are exactly the kind
of crowd that this is supposed to target).