[plt-scheme] MrEd GUI

From: Ivanyi Peter (pivanyi at freemail.hu)
Date: Thu Apr 27 11:10:44 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have a little dilemma. I am not sure how to explain it so
I just jump
into it.
I have started to modify MrEd Designer. It raised some
problems and
questions with the base widgets, like buttons, choice etc.
I have looked at lower level, the graphics widget of MrEd.
As it was stated
before it is based on an earlier version of wxWindows. I
looked at the
Unix source. I can see that quite a bit of functionality is
not exported
towards MrEd. (For example there is a reaised, a sunken, a
ledged, a
chiseled and a no border style for the base widgets.)
I understand now that part and I could modify MrEd to have
these
options on UNIX !!! (I can even offer a preliminary patch
for this to
show.)

And here comes my problem. I will definitely not be able to
do that on a
Mac OS, as I have no MAC machine, not even in my
surrounding. I could
probably do the same changes for MS Windows, but I can see
that there
are some differences. For example under Unix it is possible
to specify
the width of the border for a button, but at the moment I
cannot see how to do that under Windows.
So, would You (the PLT developers) accept patches which work
only on
one platform or the concept is that the GUI should work
everywhere
in the same way? For example, is it possible that under Unix
there is
a border-width option for buttons and under Windows there is
not?
Is it a problem if I modify the source for UNIX and Windows,
but not
for the MAC?

Another little problem, related this that I cannot get the
same build
environment for Windows as it is required by different
workspaces
included with the Windows source. Would it be possible that
someone
generate Makefiles for the projects. Then I could simply execute
nmake /f Makefile
on Windows with any Visual Studio.

Thanks.

Peter Ivanyi