[plt-scheme] Version Check

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Apr 27 09:22:27 EDT 2006

On Apr 27, Erich Rast wrote:

> Indeed I thought you were thinking about submitting some data to the
> server, such as the current version of DrScheme installed. If
> DrScheme only downloads the current version number then I personally
> have no privacy concerns at all.

The old version checker was trying to do something like that -- it
would contact the server and send version numbers, and the server
would decide what to do.  The new facility is intentionally as simple
as possible -- it reads the current version from
http://download.plt-scheme.org/version and decides things for itself.

On Apr 27, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> I love this idea. This little pop-up may even have a button with
> 'Don't bother!' on it.

But again -- the problem is that it is supposed to be as un
obstructive as possible.  It waits for DrScheme to come up to not slow
that part, and then it does the check in a background thread.  If a
window pops up, then you will not be able to type -- worse, you can
start typing an a window would annoyingly grab the keyboard.  (And you
won't get used to that since it doesn't happen every time.)

How about an alternative: when it is checking, it can show a message
in the status bar.  Make it sleep for a second too because the check
itself would be too fast to be noticeable.  (That message could have a
little cancel button next to it, but I doubt that will be easy to do.)