[plt-scheme] Version Check

From: Jim Blandy (jimb at red-bean.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 02:37:23 EDT 2006

On 4/26/06, Jim Blandy <jimb at red-bean.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/06, Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> wrote:
> > Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> > > Ethics: In the spirit of modern commercial OSes, I consider it perfectly
> > > okay to go out on the Web occasionally and check whether there are patches.
> >
> > The "Microsoft does it, so it must be ethical" argument?  :)
>
> Well, Fedora does it too, with the Red Hat Network checks.

And now that I think of it --- this raises an important point.  If you
do decide to make the checks automatically, be very obvious about it,
the way RHN's icon is, or more so.  Pop something up that says
"Checking Web for DrScheme updates".  Do something to deflect the
impression that the check is surreptitious.

Posted on the users mailing list.