[plt-scheme] Putting this forum together with the PLT documentation.

From: Nicholas Chubrich (chubrich at cs.brandeis.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 25 15:27:03 EDT 2006

As some of you may have noted, I've been looking for ways to make the work
we all do---in this forum and on our own---more useful as an instructional
resource for the whole community.  I've found something that just might do
the trick.  The site http://www.worldforum.dk/ can wrap a forum for
annotations around any web page; it works for most browsers without a
plugin (with the exception of Safari; I'm using Firefox).  All you have to
do is bookmark the worldforum site, and then click on the bookmark when
you are on a page you want to annotate---this opens up a little box with
the forum.
	To demonstrate I hope the power of the system, I've put three
annotations on specific pages at download.plt-scheme.org.  From the
annotation window, go to "browse forums on this site" to see them.  At the
ffi documentation, for instance, I excerpted some of the recent discussion
from this list.
	I think this will be a tremendously useful tool.  A lot of the
answers and solutions on this list could be helpful for posterity, but
right now posterity has to rely on the discussion having good Google
keywords.  Give it a try, and let me know what you think---especially if
you can think of a better solution (for more information see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_annotation).  I think this a better
solution than putting the documentation on a wiki, for instance---editing
a wiki is just a little bit too big of a deal for most things.  But of
course one could have the documentation on a wiki and wrap the forum
around a wiki, too!

Nicholas Chubrich.

Posted on the users mailing list.