[plt-scheme] Last year students...

From: Jerzy Karczmarczuk (jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr)
Date: Fri Apr 21 11:02:50 EDT 2006

Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
>
>> programming contests, which from my point of view are counterproductive.
>

> AMEN.

All contests in a pedagogical context are a bit ambiguous, but I don't think
that we should reduce everything to the "productivity". In general, Games
People Play and Will Forever. And Will Enjoy Them (or not).

When I give programming assignments (the same project for many people,
working in two-person teams) I state clearly that

1. they are not in competition, and mutual help and communication is encouraged.
  - - - but still ... - - -
2. The evaluation criteria, and the final notes will be based on the *quality*
    of their work, which is relative, and based on the *best* solutions.

So, in a sense some spirit of contest is there as well, since it is improbable
(and would be utterly stupid) to conspire to get everything plain, more or less
equivalent. They know that the best will be rewarded.

Back to the main subject of this thread.
I suspect that in general in Europe students are less active than American ones
in the field of making useful software during their studies. Seems that the
teaching style is less focused on individual progress, more on "fulfilling the
teaching/learning contract".
Or, perhaps I am saying rubbish...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Posted on the users mailing list.