[plt-scheme] Last year students...

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 21 14:32:32 EDT 2006

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Most contests don't and portray
> programming in a way that I would not want to have to
> do anything with it.

This is probably best discussed on plt-edu, but since Joshua asked his
question here, let me add to Matthias's comment. Think about what most
contests are asking students to do: to quickly write programs under time
pressure, using algorithms and data structures they only dimly
understand, with no design process, where the only important thing is to
produce output matching the judges' solution -- and then to throw the
code away forever. This is completely antithetical to everything we
teach them in our courses. Contests work to undermine the principles of
proper software development. (I have not looked at Joshua's specific
links; I'm talking about ACM, TopCoder, and others of this sort.) --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.