[plt-scheme] Last year students...

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 21 09:25:42 EDT 2006

1. At NU, we have a small group of undergraduate students who get
together and ... program. Actually, they typically do everything on a
project, which they sometimes and eventually hand over to our sys admin
group.

2. The vast majority, however, doesn't program unless told to do so. I
have noticed this trend for years now but I have no explanation, only
speculation. -- There are occasional exceptions, people who do fall
neither into the first category nor the second one.

3. We have one extra factor: Students must go out on three co-ops (I
believe they are six-months co-ops) and their supervisors report back
to our college. This helps but doesn't overcome the 1-2 classification.

4. In my pre-SE course (we call it Software Construction, and Robby and
I are developing this course jointly), I see a huge gap between those
groups. I am failing about 1/3 of the students (that counts both W and
F but not early withdrawals) simply because they can't program anything
substantial and I won't have my name on their transcript blessing them
otherwise. My dean backs me up so it's okay.

5. Of my six PhD students, two got hooked on Scheme and programming in
my Rice courses (Richard, Ryan), went away for a significant time and
joined when I moved. One is a Kathi Fisler student; one is Robby
student. The remaining two are 'random choices' :-) And yes, every PhD
project involves quite some programming around here.

In Matthew's group, two people got inspired by my HtDP/EoPL courses,
way back. There are Dybvig students, and some more random choices.
Robby has one PhD student, he got HtDPed, also way back.

Having said that, I have apps every year of 5 students or so who would
be capable of working with me because they have programmed and know
enough background material. Fortunately I have Shriram close by who is
young and has unbounded energy and can absorb them :-)

-- Matthias