[plt-scheme] Disabling contract checking

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 10 14:52:34 EDT 2006

Let me cite Tony Hoare and older and wiser authority than myself:

Imagine yourself learning how to run an ocean-going sail-boat.
Of course, you start with exercises on land. You wear your
life vest, too. When you're ready, you take the sailboat out
on the ocean, and to avoid the weight, you leave the life
vests behind on land. That's what it means to run code with
contracts [he said "assertions"] turned off.

[I heard him say this at some POPL, but he has written it
down somewhere, too. For all I know he just repeated it at
POPL.]

;; ---

Having said that, I can see turning off the _positive_ positions
after you have tested, on a per module basis. The _negative_ ones
check whether your clients take you seriously.

;; ---

We are always interested in examples where module contracts impose
such a heavy overhead that it is impossible to work with them when
the module is deployed.

-- Matthias