[plt-scheme] indexing .ss files in (Macintosh) Spotlight.

From: Geoffrey Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Sat Apr 8 12:20:54 EDT 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 02:00, Nicholas Chubrich wrote:
> I found out today that Tiger's Spotlight search does not reach Scheme
> source files.  This surprised me because .ss and .scm files are simply
> text, and Spotlight generally comprises text files.

I looked at Apple Discussions and found your solution, but a well-
rated poster called Dr. Smoke was steering people away from that
approach, alluding to some possible unpleasant consequences down the
road.  (I'm not sure what he meant, but I'm guessing he's afraid
people will index binary files.)  In the case of a Flash file, he was
hoping that Macromedia would release a Flash plugin for Spotlight,
which led me to this page:

   http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/spotlight/

I get the impression the "right" way to do this by Apple would be to
create a Scheme plugin for Spotlight, just as someone has done that
for Ruby:

   http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/spotlight/rubyimporter.html
   by Anthony Cowley:  http://www.arcadianvisions.com/

I've seen some free plugins, but not free in the sense of making
source code available.  That seems to be the next step, knowing how
to write a Spotlight plugin.  For that, I found this:

   http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/07/15/spotlight.html

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk