[plt-scheme] embedded web browser vs Apache

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Tue Sep 27 09:59:57 EDT 2005

Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I installed drscheme today from the stable/sarge Debian package.
> Of course it also included mzscheme as a dependency.
>
> While installing, I was surprised to have the installation script
> offer to install a web browser for me.  I declined, since I
> already have apache running on this system, serving me a local copy of
> the Linux documentation pages.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Debian installer is
the official PLT installer. At least I can't recall ever seeing that
question during installations with the official install program.

Fetch the official version from:

     <http://download.plt-scheme.org/drscheme/>

> But ever since I've been wondering -- does the Scheme embedded web
> browser play nicely with Apache?  or with the HTML files set up to
> be served by Apache?  Can I run this one as well as Apache?  If so,
> how to they apportion the incoming http requests?

One usually put the two web-servers on different ports, say Apache
on port 80 and the PLT web-server on port 8080. It is then possible
to let Apache "forward" pages from the PLT web-server for
selected names.

For details check:

<http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2004-August/006471.html>
<http://www.codecomments.com/Scheme/message587634.html>
<http://www.deinprogramm.de/material/servlets-apache.html>

(the last one is in German)

> And -- are there advantages to using this one instead of Apache?

If you want to run Scheme servlets then it is convenient to
use the PLT web-server.

If you want to run, say, PHP then Apache is the choice.

If you want to run both - then the method above is used.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard