[plt-scheme] PlaneT, plts and distributing software.

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 17:19:18 EDT 2005

Robby Findler wrote:
> At Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:03:38 -0400, Anton van Straaten wrote:
>
>>If every module in my program includes the same require statements with
>>the same X & Y values, I'd like to be able to centralize that so that if
>>I need to change X & Y, I can do it in one place.  Again, there might be
>>cases where embedding X & Y in the requiring module makes sense, but I
>>would see those cases as being for little scripts and such, not for
>>larger multi-module systems.
>

> For this one point, you can already do that, with small modules that
> pull in the planet dependency and re-export everything. You may object
> by saying that you had to plan ahead for this upgrade, but really
> you're objecting about `module' itself, not about planet (and I hear
> there are some plans along these lines coming from the Utah guys).

Good point, and I don't have any objection to it, not even the one you
suggest, since that kind of planning ahead is perfectly viable.

However, doing this for many dependencies in a reasonably-sized
application, you'd end up with lots of little PLaneT-module-wrapping
modules.  In that situation, having a way to achieve the same effect in
a single module configuration/mapping file could still come in handy.
It's not essential, though.

There may be other reasons for supporting a centralization of the
mapping, though, which I'll send a separate message about.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.