[plt-scheme] PlaneT, plts and distributing software.

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 16:27:33 EDT 2005

--- Jacob Matthews <jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Anton van Straaten wrote:
>
> > Noel still has a point

Hear, hear!

> Only if you think of (require (planet ...)) as an
> operational specification for how to retrieve a package.

Which is functionally what it currently is.  The sys
administrator not the programmer should make the decision
about how packages are installed, which is why I suggested
(lib ...) and (planet ...) should be merged (and they
should be merged to  (lib path ...
[optional-version-numbers])).  Then the sys admin should
twiddle a switch: download automagically or not (or better
yet, set which download method should be used:
Planet/debian/portage/nothing).

This suggestion should resolve most issues raised so far.

N.

AIM: noelhwelsh
Blogs: http://monospaced.blogspot.com/  http://www.untyped.com/untyping/