[plt-scheme] PlaneT, plts and distributing software.

From: Yoav Goldberg (yoav.goldberg at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 25 19:09:28 EDT 2005

I'm kinda with pupeno on that one. Retrieveing the code from PLaneT
cache is a possible solution, but it feels like a hack (and until this
thread I didn't see any written documentation about the location of
this cache..[1]), so I think writing and distributing a small script
that will connect to PLaneT, download the package you want and install
it as a collect, would be extremely usefull (I would do it myself if
any of you redirect me to some documentation on the inside of the
planet system).

While we're at it, I think it will also be extremly usefull to add the
<path-of-main-file>/collects to the
current-library-collection-paths[2] list, as a default, or as a
commandline switch, or whatever. It will make it much easier to
distribute standalone (but not compiled) PLT code.

As for why not to "just use planet" - I think PLaneT is extremly cool,
and could be very usefull when developing code, but just not reliable
enough inorder to distribute code that requires direcly from it - if I
can't control the server, I'm not going to use it.

Yoav

[1] Maybe there's documentation on the HelpDesk, I never use the
HelpDesk because it uses to much memory for my computer, and it has a
really tiny font for my eyes. I rely on the web for documentation.
[2] What I currently do is to "load" a file that does just that on the
top of my "main file", but I think that system support for it will be
nicer. (The method I use prevents my main module from being "required"
from somewhere else as a module).