[plt-scheme] A literary metaphor for Scheme

From: nishad at ptolemy.tlg.uci.edu (nishad at ptolemy.tlg.uci.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 6 20:58:28 EST 2005

Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> If Scheme were a literary figure, who would it be?
> I mean an author, but naming a character might also work. I have some
> ideas, but will wait to share them with those who are interested. --PR

Joyce, obviously.  Capable of everything: small, accessible perfection
(Dubliners, Portrait); unbelievable greatness and complexity
(Ulysses); outright reader-nuking incomprehensibility (Finnegans

Read "higher order functions", "macros", "continuations", "closures",
... as and where you see fit.

And of course, everyone arm-wavingly agrees that he's really great,
that he's done just about all that can be done with language and form,
but almost no one reads him, and a only tiny handful have read all of

What's your take, Prabhakar?

"Things ain't been the same since the blues walked into town."

                                                -- Larry Love

Posted on the users mailing list.