[plt-scheme] A literary metaphor for Scheme

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 6 19:14:14 EST 2005

On Nov 6, 2005, at 6:36 PM, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:

> I asked this question on a mailing list devoted to literature with
> some people on it who knew Scheme, so it's only fair that I ask it on
> a mailing list devoted to Scheme with some people on it who know
> literature (I'm hoping).
>
> If Scheme were a literary figure, who would it be?
>
> I mean an author, but naming a character might also work. I have some
> ideas, but will wait to share them with those who are interested. --PR

I don't know about Scheme but I do know about myself and possibly
others who are spreading the work:

-- Sisyphus, and on his rock, I see Perlers, Pythonistas, Javars, and
others.

-- Wilhelm Tell, shooting arrows at the apple on his son's head (well,
sometimes I think I am the son)

-- Pyrrhus, and his kind of victory is every instance of when others
adopt lambda halfway

-- Don Quixote, as many of you know from my home page

-- Götz von Berlichingen, a Goethe character of the 30-year war and is
extremely well-known in Germany.

How's that for a first collection. -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.