[plt-scheme] PLT and Database access

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri May 27 13:49:58 EDT 2005

David J. Neu wrote:

>For PostgreSQL, you can try (shameless self plug) Scheme-PG,
>http://scheme-pg.sourceforge.net/.  We use it everyday.

I use Scheme-PG to communicate with postgresql from a web server. I
found it was the best option for what I wanted. On the plus side it
works nicely, and on the minus side, every once in a while I found
myself having to contort values I wanted to store so the library could
convert them to database values properly, and I gave up using the macro
language that came with the system because it wasn't really expressive
enough for the queries I needed. Once I got the hang of the library's
quirks, though, it worked fine.

I said before and I'll say again that once the web site project is done,
I'm going to try to write up an entry for the Scheme Cookbook
summarizing the current state of affairs in the world of connecting PLT
Scheme to a database. It's a topic that I think is in dire need of
better documentation.

-jacob

Posted on the users mailing list.