[plt-scheme] mzscheme and OS threads

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema (hdnews at gawab.com)
Date: Tue May 24 04:27:58 EDT 2005

L.S.,

I've been thinking about mzscheme's threading model.
As multiple CPU machines get more common, mzscheme's
threading model will become a bottleneck in situations where
lots of parallism is being used.

 From the earlier "threads and mzscheme" posts it is clear
to me that it is no option to change mzscheme's threading model
to OS threads.

However, would it not be an idea to embrace the idea of "execution groups",
where each "execution group" is an OS thread. "execution groups" operate
seperately, but can communicate using semaphores, shared memory, fifos, etc.

I think this would fit mzscheme's technique and will provide a path
to real OS asynchronism and parallism.

--
Hans Oesterholt