[plt-scheme] threads and mzscheme

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon May 23 08:40:45 EDT 2005

At Mon, 23 May 2005 00:06:22 +0200, Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:
> I'm experimenting with threads. Can someone explain to me
> how threads work in mzscheme?

Threads are essentially continuation-based. There's just one system
thread, and MzScheme has its own scheduler (hierarchical, round-robin)
to swap Scheme continuations/threads.

> I'm giving changes to a workerthread,
> which puts these changes (asynchronously) to a backend (database).
>
> The behaviour I see, is that nor mzscheme, nor the database is taking
> much time. I see mosly a lot of system idle time.
>
> Can someone explain?

I have the same questions as Eli: How are tasks communicated to the
worker thread? How are MzScheme and the database communicating?

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.