[plt-scheme] pattern matching and syntaxes

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun May 22 14:36:50 EDT 2005

When I joined Indiana in 1984, I wrote all the EoPL/Hitchhiker
interpreters in Prolog. Then I realized that I never needed
backtracking; my life was simple because of unification, indeed,
matching. I used Eugene's extend-syntax to port my Prolog matcher to
Scheme and wrote all of Dan's assignments with it. It never occurred to
me at the time that my matcher was in some way related to
extend-syntax's.

Bruce and I continued to improve the matcher with only one thing in
mind: making interpreters easy.

When Bruce joined me at Rice, we asked Andrew to check into the
efficiency of matching because the MLers were writing a bunch of papers
on their matchers. Andrew ported this technology and expanded the
syntax further.

You probably know the recent history.

Before you try something different, explore the pragmatics! -- Matthias