[plt-scheme] Help writing non-trivial applications.

From: Ivanyi Peter (pivanyi at freemail.hu)
Date: Fri May 6 09:00:14 EDT 2005

Hello,

If you look for speed then look at the benchmarks which is
the best
scheme. If you need something more, for example graphics,
windowing toolkit, you have to be sure what you really want.

For my graphical editor
(http://morpheus.pte.hu/~peteri/sx/index.html)
I have started with Guile. It is featurefull,
but slow, have some (lots) of Windowing toolkits BUT only on
Linux!
Then for speed I have switched to bigloo. It is faster but
support for anything else is rough. There is bigloo-lib on
sourceforge
for OpenGL and GTK, but again only for Linux and certain OpenGL
functions have no bindings.

Now I am with PLT for the following reasons:
- Portable code between Linux and windows.
(Unfortunately in certain ountries it is a must. While I was
working
in the UK I could use only Linux, now in Hungary I have use to
Windows and Linux.)
- It is featurefull. It knows even more than I need.
- In core support for Windowing toolkit and OpenGL.
OpenGL is great. Almost everything is covered.
The  windowing toolkit has some rough edges, but I am sure/hope
it will improve.
Anyway I never needed flashy things, like GNOME widgets.
- And it is fast enough for me. However I would not use it for
number crunching.

Best regards,

Peter Ivanyi

Posted on the users mailing list.