[plt-scheme] Help writing non-trivial applications.

From: Geoffrey Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Wed May 4 04:26:32 EDT 2005

How about an article that describes how PLT Scheme got started, which
pieces got built in what order, who worked on what, how long it took to
do the various pieces, whether the vision changed, how the architecture
evolved to support the many side projects that have appeared, whether
there are any decisions you regret, what you see in the future...  PLT
is a great project with many good features.  The only concern I
remember is speed, so a separate article on porting working PLT
programs to Schemes built mainly for speed would allay those fears.

It would be more fun to hear a one hour talk than to spend six months
diving through CVS histories.

I think at ILC 2002 Richard Stallman gave a talk on the evolution of
GNU Emacs.  That's where the idea comes from.

talk => article => book :: weeks => months => years

Maybe some day some one will make a Wiki with a "TeX this" button that
sends a book to your printer.  The Wiki would self-organize the way Don
Knuth's literate programming puts books together, or the way he
remodeled his kitchen using graph theory.

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk

On May 3, 2005, at 23:29, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> I am the non-author of the non-book HtUS, which I had hoped would
> answer this kind of question (well, the Scheme specific part). I
> agree: we need this kind of book but it has slipped down on my list of
> priorities.

Posted on the users mailing list.