[plt-scheme] Help writing non-trivial applications.

From: Matt Jadud (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 4 04:09:04 EDT 2005

> What is the best way for someone to learn to master the GUI aspects of
> PLT-Scheme?
>
> Obviously example code is helpful, and the 'cookbook' stuff is great.
> But there seems to be a big gap between the excellent technical
> documentation and the kind of incremental tutorial that engenders
> understanding and mastery.

The simplest answer (which I saw given) is to "just do it." At the
worst, you can end up with something that looks like Java-in-Scheme. You
have classes for everything in the GUI, and... well, that's nothing new.

However, PLT Scheme also provides you with a few other paradigms; you
have the functional, concurrent, and lazy (if you poke a bit), as well
as the functional reactive stuff in FrTime. Being specific about just
one of those, you can look at papers like

EX11 – A GUI in a Concurrent Functional Language
http://www.erlang.se/workshop/2004/ex11.pdf (Slides)
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1022472 (ACM DL Citation)

and, by-and-large, probably map that into Scheme. You might need to use
the ConcurrentML channel library to get asynchronous communications, and
even then you'll have to make sure that the channel model in the library
maps correctly to Erlang channels, but my point is that the PLT Scheme
implementation is rich enough that you can explore things like
concurrent GUI design if you want to. (This was something I poked at
briefly, but I discovered that rewriting a small application from the
sequential to concurrent style in under an hour is a surefire way to
discover things like, oh, "deadlock." :)

It's almost a "problem", in a way: the PLT Scheme distribution gives you
some powerful tools for architecting software (macros, units/mixins,
first-class continuations, a well-behaved module system), and you have
to figure out how to best make use of it. And, even if you don't make
use of any of these features, you still have a clean, expressive
language to work with. Either way, you get brought back to the point
that Neil and Mathias made, which is that you have a systems
architecture problem, regardless of what tools you decide to use to
tackle it.

Good luck,
Matt

Posted on the users mailing list.