[plt-scheme] PLT Scheme v299.100

From: Zhu Chongkai (mathematica at citiz.net)
Date: Sat Mar 26 06:01:01 EST 2005

> At 2005-03-26, 15:03:49 Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:

>> * Unicode characters and strings;
>UTF-8? Or do I need to set an encoding?

Yes, there is UTF-8. Quote from the PLT MzScheme Language Manual:

Most computing devices are built around the concept of byte (an integer from 0 to 255) instead of character. To communicate character sequences among devices, then, requires an encoding of characters into bytes. UTF-8 is one such encoding; due to its nice properties, the UTF-8 encoding is in many ways hard-wired into MzScheme's primitives, such as read-char. Encodings are discussed further in the following sections. For byte-based communication, MzScheme supports byte strings as a separate datatype from character strings (see section?3.6).

>> * access to foreign functions and libraries directly from Scheme;
>Is the old interface still available?

Yes. Only with the change in conformity with Unicode (and default setting of

>Should I upgrade from 209? How stable is 299? I'm developing mzgtk2 against

IMO, you should upgrade. Actually many people has use v299.x for months, and
it is quite 'stable'.

Zhu Chongkai

Posted on the users mailing list.