[plt-scheme] Re: Change the World

From: Alex Peake (alex.peake at comac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 17:37:03 EST 2005

> Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] Re: Change the World
> From: Guillaume Marceau <gmarceau at cs.brown.edu>
> To: Geoffrey Knauth <geoff at knauth.org>
> Cc: plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu
> Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:51:43 -0500
>
> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 10:14 -0500, Geoffrey Knauth wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to guess what makes it hard for Scheme to "catch
> on" in the
> > mainstream.
>
> My pet theory is that it's very difficult to learn functional
> programming alone, on your own. You have to go to class and
> get it taught to you. Or you have to have a friend teaching it to you.

[snip]

> -- Guillaume (via proxy)

I must disagree. I use a method that is to use books, but several of them. The several give you
different viewpoints, approaches, examples and the like that together paint a complete enough
picture.

That is not to say that all people learn from books, but a trip to Borders (or similar) does
demonstrate that LOTS of books on programming are purchased.

Alex

Posted on the users mailing list.