[plt-scheme] Re: Change the World

From: Alex Peake (alex.peake at comac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 21 19:42:44 EST 2005

> From: Geoffrey Knauth <geoff at knauth.org>
> Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] Re: Change the World
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:14:56 -0500
> To: plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu

[snip]

> I'm trying to guess what makes it hard for Scheme to "catch
> on" in the mainstream.

[snip]

> Geoffrey
> --
> Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk

Of course it depends what you mean by "mainstream". Consider that (something approaching) 90% of
professional programmers write business applications (GUI + RDBMS stuff), you might consider
business apps mainstream.

If you do so consider, then it is easy to see why Scheme does not "catch on" - it is very difficult
to build a good GUI and very difficult to access an RDBMS.

Now add to that the dearth of books and the like...

Add to that the fact that it is next to impossible to make money out of programming languages, and
you perhaps see why no one will address this (academia apparently cares little about business apps).

Of course you could take the "Paul Graham" approach, of using Scheme "behind the scenes" to gain a
tremendous competitive advantage, while not actually having to say the "S" word! (Actually I am
working on this.)

Alex

Posted on the users mailing list.