[plt-scheme] DrScheme wxWindows/wxWidgets support

From: Peter Wright (pete at flooble.net)
Date: Mon Mar 21 10:57:45 EST 2005

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there are any plans on the
horizon to have DrScheme support wxWidgets version 2 as opposed to the
ancient-history wxWindows version 1.

I think I just presumed a few years back that PLT Scheme would one day
move from wx v1 to wx v2, but I haven't seen or heard any discussion
on the topic.

Is it just something that nobody really cares about?... ie. the
wxWindows v1 GUI support is considered "good enough" and the PLT
developers have different priorities? If so, fair enough - I'm just
kind of intrigued (I usually just use mzscheme myself).

If it's unlikely to be considered anytime in the next couple of years,
would any of the PLT developers be able to suggest how much time and
effort they think it might take (to convert the PLT GUI framework to
wxWidgets 2)? Would it require a huge framework rewrite and modifying
hand-tuned interface layers and frequent wavings of dead chickens?

Thanks for any info (and my apologies if this has been discussed at
length somewhere and I just couldn't find it).

Pete.

PS. This email was largely inspired by my firing up DrScheme (for the
first time in a long while) under a Gnome environment, and going "holy
_crap_, this looks ugly". :)

PPS. After looking through the PLT source code, I see the wxWindows
code has (apparently) been substantially modified from the wxWindows
1.68E code (the last wx v1 release). So I guess it doesn't qualify as
ancient history in that it's at least being maintained. :)
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
Real programmers disdain structured programming.  Structured programming is