[plt-scheme] Re: Change the World

From: Geoffrey Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Mon Mar 21 10:14:56 EST 2005

On Mar 21, 2005, at 09:33, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2005, at 8:25 AM, Neil W. Van Dyke wrote:
>> (I blame MIT for letting undergrads use Java.)
> And it's going to get worse.

Describe the class of problems that are mostly likely best handled by
Scheme / Lisp, and there will always be a place for Schemers and Lisp
hackers.  Then there's the Haskell camp backed by Microsoft.  They
probably don't fund it unless they see a pot of gold in thar' hills.

I'm trying to guess what makes it hard for Scheme to "catch on" in the
mainstream.  I don't think it's parentheses.  I think it's that bad
Scheme blows up in the developer's face more dramatically than bad
Java.  I think bad Java programs limp along half working and half not
working until someone fixes the parts that don't work, whereas bad
Scheme programs may not work at all until someone figures out where the
problem is.  A Java klutz will break a portion of a Java program, but
it will still klunk along.  A Scheme klutz might easily cause more
mysterious death.  These are my past impressions.  DrScheme, modules,
SchemeUnit, PLaNet, &c. are paving the way to a safer future.

A well written Scheme program is a work of art.  A good Java program is
rarely so graceful, just tidy.

Speaking of art, I wonder why Knuth has stayed away from Lisp.  I also
wonder how much of TAOCP could be expressed in Scheme.

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk