[plt-scheme] More on tabs

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 12 21:18:12 EST 2005

I think what you're looking for is Safari's "open in tabs" feature,
which opens an entire folder in parallel tabs. Here of course, you want
to say open a module tree at this root point in parallel tabs.
Naturally you want to NOT open lib files.

This sounds like a combination of the module browser and the open in
tab capability.

The one problem I see is that the module browser can fail on incorrect
files or when a programmer opens a file in a new context and forgot to
hand over some libraries from the old context (has happened to me
because I have too many libs of my own). But then we just signal an
error and let the programmer deal with it.

Overall I like the idea.

-- Matthias

On Mar 12, 2005, at 9:57 AM, Corey Sweeney wrote:

> When I saw the tabs it gave me the idea of writing a really lame
> project manager, the idea is to have all the files that are related to
> one data structure in tabs and then just one window per data
> structure.  I was wanting to do this by putting at the top of each
> file something like:
>
> ;;;;;file server.protocal.bnf.scm
>
> (if {equal? interpeter `drscheme}
>     (let ((self {find self}))
>         {add-tab self "server.protocal.tests.scm"}
>         {add-tab self "server.protocal.actual.code.scm"}))
>
> however, turning this into real code seems like a much bigger search
> for me then i thought.  Can anyone tip me off how to add a tab, and
> how to find self... wait a sec, is self findable? since the code is
> just loaded in the window, and not actually run.  I'd need to make a
> special project manager app which i would load and run first, and it
> would make a new window and load all 3 files in tabs.
>
> I wasn't looking for a massive project here, but if there's something
> that could be done in a hour (by me, who has no knowledge of the
> editor internals) it'd be cool.
>
> Corey
>

> P.S.  when I click on most of my help results, it gives me:
>

> The file you were looking for was not found on the Help Desk server.
>
> Help Desk home
>
> Powered by .
>

> I used to get a message that said "click here to see it on the plt-web
> site", then would put me at the begining page of the plt-docs.  I'm
> sure i just need to download and install some docs (like "PLT MrEd:
> Graphical Toolbox Manual"), but what i'm saying is that this might not
> be obvious to everyone.  Is it practical to make those get
> auto-installed via planet when you click on them or something?

Posted on the users mailing list.